PAC Meeting Notes for Monday, September 18, 2017

Attendees: Erin Lenhardt, Connie Wheeler, Kimberly Groenjes, Mrs. Lipsey, Tammy Kurey, Sara Peterson, Amanda Hedtke, Keith Kumbalek, Terri Romitti, Beth Rodewald, Ms. Diedrick, Katie Schmeltzer, Loralee Olson-Arcand

Mr. Kilstofte–referendum information:  Referendum fact sheet handed out and reviewed major points of handout.  The referendum will be held on November 7th.  90+ participants took part in facilities planning group, CTE group,  and/or visioning groups. FFAC/Visioning groups were surveyed regarding building priorities and discussed results. Major takeaways: student safety/security, current capacity/future flexibility, need for modern learning spaces, want to improve CTE programming opportunities, future goal of creating a community/school foundation, grade reconfiguration (at existing school buildings), April 2018: School district will be debt free! This includes the land proposed for a new high school.  Further information can be reviewd on the Freedom School website

Mr. Kilstofte also reported that Freedom previously had a $20k grant written/approved for new Modern Learning Experience “classroom”; across from the Library (flexible seating, SMART board like a large TV; monitors; Chrome books).

Introductions/Committee Sign-ups  Erin Lenhardt, President,  Connie Wheeler, Treasurer,  Loralee Olson-Arcand, Vice President.  We went around and introduced ourselves, noting grades of children.  Shannon Diedrick attended, noting her internship for assistant principal.  Explanation of committee sign-up sheet

Any news from Mrs. Lipsey? Introduced Katie Schmeltzer, new associate principal;  Jill Musset (previous associate principal) is Curriculum and Special Education Director. Noted other new staff members (new psychologist, new teachers).  704 students (last count Fri., 9/15)

Treasurer’s Report Beginning checkbook balance:  $20,409.97. $14,784.22 set aside Paper Recycling amount,  cushion of $3500 and funds allocated to previously approved expenses.  Our spendable amount:  $2,907.05

Connie is still working with the auditor on 501(c)(3) form(s).  We have to fill out the long form due to our fund-raising amounts; explained why PAC is going through the process to new attendees

Open House PAC Table Report Erin noted it went better this year; more traffic (due to location moved from basement to gym)

Teacher reimbursements gifts, new or changed grades–vote to continue PAC offers $100 to staff to purchase items for their classroom (not conferences, personal development, etc.)  $200 to new teachers and teachers switching grades.  List sent around to attendees showing past teachers and amounts given.  Voted all in favor to approve continuing gift and using the current form. PAC officer members to go to October meeting, serve sundaes and explain to teachers how to use it (teachers are allowed to pool their money amongst the same grade, i.e., 1st grade teachers).  Teachers turn in receipt(s) for and fill out form for reimbursement

Paper Recycling–September 18-October 2nd  1st event of the year started Monday, 9/18; if not quite full, can go a little longer.  Current fund: $7,267.49.  Event is 4 times a year.  Nature Center Classroom project being researched.  We may try to do in 2 phases: 1) pad & pavillion; 2) new furniture; We are waiting on bids from contractors.  We are also looking to see if there are any grant funds available for this.

Cookie Dough Fundraiser Sale Dates:  11/3 – 11/17, Orders in by 11/ 22, Delivery date: 12/14;  Hansen’s will come at 1:30p to sort and pick up will be from 3:00-5:30.  Mrs. Lipsey to see if she can rearrange schedule for multi-purpose room (due to another group in there at the same time).  Need two additional people to help sort, etc.  Prize Machine at pick-up for over 15 items sales.  New this year: 40% profit to PAC (down from 50% last year); could get more $$ if bulk received (not an option for us…too much work). Products increased by $2 each.  Hansen is pushing to have people order online; register student, put in a code; advise sellers to send 10 emails to get a code for a plush animal.  By ordering online, people can order more than just the cookie dough, but if out of the area, can’t order perishable items.  Vendor is trying to improve quality of prizes.  We will work on setting up ways for students to redeem prizes that are earned during fundraiser

Upcoming Events:

Fall Student Appreciation: For this year: Cheez-It or Goldfish crackers.  October 4 (Wed.) & 5 (Thurs.); Loralee to purchase, package per each classroom, and drop off Wed. morning at front office.

Parent Teacher Conference meals Oct. 4th and 5th:  Erin set up for these dates; set up on a volunteer website; link sent out for people to sign up and bring.

Student Directory:  PAC to set up a new one this year; link was sent out for parents to sign up.  Suggested to send a (quarter) sheet reminder for parents to fill out form; front office is trying to reduce paper usage, but Erin will see if they can do it; Amanda noted she can have her hotel staff help cut sheets.  Suggested including a reference to the purpose of the directory, i.e., birthday party invites, contacting a fellow student’s parent re: a class assignment, etc.

Book Fair (set up Sept. 26/take down Oct. 6) — We need volunteers 9/26: set up time:  Amanda Hedtke volunteered at the meeting.  10/6 take down: Terri Romitti volunteered at the meeting

Badger Sports/Funset Blvd nights:  We will hold a Funset Blvd night on Thurs. Oct 26th. We receive the wristbands for $1 will sell for $5 as done previously. They will include laser tag, train, bumper cars, playground, carrousel

We will set up a Badger Sports night on April 26th

New Business

  • Erin won’t be here for April meeting (will be out of town).
  • Terri brought up doing a Freedom Irish clothing fund-raiser due to limited location(s) for purchasing in the Freedom area. Possible fund-raiser instead of the popcorn fund-raiser. We agreed it was a great idea. She will look into this.

If you have questions or comments, please email

Next meeting date:  Monday, October 16th, 2017, 6:00 pm, Room 22, Art Room.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s